Not a Coupon Clipper? No problem.
I’ll be the first to admit that I LOVE to save money (who doesn’t?!) but will never be a coupon queen, no matter how hard I try. I’ve read all the inspirational pieces on feeding my family for under $50 a week or decreasing my food bill by over $500 a month using coupons–and after each one I read, I. Am. Pumped. This is THE month I’m going to save us MILLIONS by couponing, shopping the sales and meal planning!!!
Fast forward to three hours into the process (finding, cutting, filing.. and applying them to my shopping list), my brain hurts and I don’t feel any further along than when I started. Ugh! What’s a girl to do?
Its true, coupon clipping will never be my thing. But that’s okay! I’m much more comfortable with apps or my computer than the newspaper and scissors. If you feel the same, keep reading to learn the FUN and easy ways to shave money off your bottom line digitally that paper coupons can *almost* become a thing of the past!
Websites & Apps
This is a website that offers discounts and/or cash back at thousands of stores. My favorite uses for Ebates (so far!) are: Groupon (savings on top of savings!), , Amazon and Nordstrom. You can literally get money back just by making your everyday purchases! And, with plenty of hotel websites and chains on Ebates, you can also get tons of money back just by taking the Summer vacation you had planned anyway! Different ways to save include cash back, coupons and promo codes online and in-store (at select retailers). Search stores easily–or scroll through the thousands of options, alphabetically. Here are the three ways to shop and save:
- Online: Download the Ebates “Cash Back” button for your search bar to never miss an Ebates offer while shopping online. If you’re on a site that has an applicable promo code or Ebates cash back offer, a pop-up will appear to let you know! Just click the pop-up to activate the offer. Simple, right?!
- Mobile App: The app works similar to the website. Shop through their web browser to save. Simply find the retailer of interest, select an offer you’d like to activate, and select the “shop now” icon. From there, Ebates will open a separate browser for you to shop through. Voila–a few hours later, you’ll see that credit appear in your account, along with a notification on your mobile device!
- In-store: Lastly, Ebates has the option to link your credit or debit card to your account to activate special in-store cash back offers. I recently used this option at Petco to get 3% back on my dog’s grooming service–and was pleasantly surprised to see money come back to me from a recent Sunglass Hut purchase.
Ibotta is a website and mobile app that offers discounts at over 300 retailers to get cash back on specific items. To unlock many of the offers, you just need to answer a quick survey question. Ibotta also offers ways to unlock additional savings and rewards. Make it a friends and family affair (by building a team) to save even more, and have fun doing it!
As with Ebates, Ibotta ALSO offers three ways to save:
- Submit a receipt. This is the option I’ve used the most so far, in conjunction with the mobile app.
- Link your loyalty accounts. Simply choose a preferred partner and enter your corresponding loyalty rewards number or telephone number and you’re good-to-go! Unlock the offers you’re interested before you shop, be sure to use your loyalty rewards card number at the checkout, and your cash will be deposited within 48 hours!
- Mobile in-app purchases. Before you shop, unlock the deals you’d like to redeem. Then click the “Shop” button at the bottom of the screen.
Groupon is tried and true for many of us at this point for sure. It offers ways to save on everything from oil changes to exotic getaways. Browse the website or app for deals in your area. One of the best things about Groupon is that they routinely offer additional savings on top of their already discounted rates. Just sign up for emails, or keep an eye out for daily or weekly deals in the app to save up to an additional 25%! Another GREAT advantage of Groupon is that you can actually shop THROUGH Ibotta or Ebates to receive cash back on your purchase. The rate will vary, but I’ve seen it as high as 10%. As an added bonus, I’ve gotten to check out some great places I may otherwise have never known about, and at a discount, no less!
The Krazy Coupon Lady
This blog is AMAZING! As mentioned earlier, I am not, nor will I ever be (sigh) a coupon queen. Thanks to The Krazy Coupon Lady, I may never need to! Stick with Heather Wheeler and Joanie Demer, the masterminds behind the blog, and they’ll never steer you wrong when it comes to amazing savings! Subscribe to their email list to get updates on the latest sales and coupons! I recently downloaded their five-star rated app, and it is life-changing! Thanks to their passion for savings, and know-how on scoping out the deals, the rest of us can feel like a couponing queen too! And, for those aspiring for more, they offer a ten-day course on how to become a Krazy Coupon Lady yourself! Check it out for yourself by clicking here!
Money Saving Mom
Crystal Paine, of Money Saving Mom, has such a genuine, and familiar demeanor in her writing. After reading and email or post from Crystal, I come away from it feeling like I’ve just had a great chat with an old friend. She also has so much great info and advice to offer up. Check out her site to find the latest deals, store deals, giveaways. I also love that Crystal also offers some wonderful e-courses to help get me feeling back on track in any areas of my life that may be in need of a tune-up. I just signed up for her Grocery University, and can’t wait to fine-tune my shopping skills so that we can save some serious cash on food every month. (Currently an area where we spend some serious cash!) Since her course is made up of MP3 files, I can multi-task by listening to it while I fold laundry, do the dishes or run errands in the car!
I’ve had so much fun using these techniques to save at TON of money each month. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments–and additional ways you’ve found to save!